Wednesday 16 July 2014

Renting Shmenting

Martin and I have lived in 7 different rental properties in our 7.5years together.
It's either impressive or sad. I'm going with both.
We've moved for many different reasons. Some very grown up, like - moving out of town for a job. Or - landlord has sold our current home.
Some not so grown up, like 'But I really want a puppy!', or - the carpet feels funny.

Either way, we've done it. We've packed our stuff up, shipped it off and unpacked it again, somewhere new.

We're currently looking at moving again. 38 week pregnant Bianca, in July last year, said "I'M NEVER MOVING AGAIN!"... But Mummy Bianca, with an adventurous and very mobile baby, well... Well, she wants a bigger place. Where my dogs can't see through the fences to bark at leaves falling from the trees. And my thermomix can have a home of its own, on the bench. Not on an old piece of wood, on the stove top!

Despite my long list of rental properties, (and yes, there were at least another 3 or 4 more before Martin hit the scene) - I am very easily pleased! I used to have a massive list of all the things I NEEDED my house to have, then I gave in cause the bath was a cool colour, or the back yard had a swing seat. 

But these days, it's short & simple.

- Must have a bath.
- Decent sized kitchen.
- Heating (seems a no brainer, but I've gone without it before!)
- Storage. 
- Enclosed backyard.


What have a missed?

What's on your list?


3 comments:

  1. Wowsa! That's lots of moving,.. You guys must be pretty skilled at moving by now. I remember renting a house, and when it was cold outside,. It was even more freezing inside! So for me, a house with heating is a must. Just as important are storage and space to move around. Oh! and a decent sized bath! I rented a house with a shower/bath combo, but what made it really awkward was the bath was only half the size! Definitely need a bath where legs can be stretched out in, instead of bent & up near your ears!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing for me either good insulation or cooling nothing worse than sweltering in the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your list - must haves!
    I would also add "must have good vibe" :)

    ReplyDelete